[plug] Just checking..........

Gregory Orange gregory.orange at metoceanengineers.com
Sat Mar 14 15:09:11 WST 2009

Arie Hol wrote:
> What's happening out there in Linux land ??
>
> The list has been very (too) quiet lately......

Well only because you asked....

I'm in the middle of a GID migration to a higher range (>5000) so we can
finish off our migration from NIS to openldap. All on three live
systems, so I have to be careful about ownerships along the way, as well
as extended ACLs. Then, because a bunch of the files are open while I'm
doing it, I have to go back on a different day to check again that my
changes have stuck.

We went and checked out SGI's HSM offering last week, damn it looks
slick. I wonder what the price is though. Some other dude got up and
talked about a CMS/DMS called (I think) MediaFlux. Also very slick, and
they weren't happy with the performance of MySQL or PostgreSQL so they
wrote their own XML-based Object Relational DBMS. Not open source and
not even available separate from MediaFlux - oh well.

I'm choosing a MFD replacement for our photocopier, one that we can plug
into our CUPS back end. Scanning will be to a Samba share because we
want to avoid (Cyrus IMAP) email folders being used as a document
management system! So far Kyocera and Ricoh are in the lead, both
offering PPD downloads. <ot> Kyocera are ahead by a nose, partly because
their salesman has a clue and didn't wear a suit, and partly because
Kyocera have given half a damn about the environment since before it was
sexy. </ot>

That Linuxy enough for ya?
Greg.