[plug] Just checking..........

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Sat Mar 14 14:28:51 WST 2009

On Sat, 2009-03-14 at 14:09 +0800, Gregory Orange wrote:
> Arie Hol wrote:
> > What's happening out there in Linux land ??
> >
> > The list has been very (too) quiet lately......
>
> Well only because you asked....
>
> I'm in the middle of a GID migration to a higher range (>5000) so we can
> finish off our migration from NIS to openldap. All on three live
> systems, so I have to be careful about ownerships along the way, as well
> as extended ACLs. Then, because a bunch of the files are open while I'm
> doing it, I have to go back on a different day to check again that my
> changes have stuck.
>
> We went and checked out SGI's HSM offering last week, damn it looks
> slick. I wonder what the price is though. Some other dude got up and
> talked about a CMS/DMS called (I think) MediaFlux. Also very slick, and
> they weren't happy with the performance of MySQL or PostgreSQL so they
> wrote their own XML-based Object Relational DBMS. Not open source and
> not even available separate from MediaFlux - oh well.
>
> I'm choosing a MFD replacement for our photocopier, one that we can plug
> into our CUPS back end. Scanning will be to a Samba share because we
> want to avoid (Cyrus IMAP) email folders being used as a document
> management system! So far Kyocera and Ricoh are in the lead, both
> offering PPD downloads. <ot> Kyocera are ahead by a nose, partly because
> their salesman has a clue and didn't wear a suit, and partly because
> Kyocera have given half a damn about the environment since before it was
> sexy. </ot>
>
> That Linuxy enough for ya?
> Greg.

He started it, so .....

Last week I installed VM on our remote z9 mainframe, all with the object
of allowing people to run their older OS/390 under it as a DR exercise.

And to keep it Linux-relevant, once that's done, we install z/Linux -
probably SLES 10 and maybe CENTOS 5.

But before that I go to the 3rd world for 3 weeks to see my rellies and
old mates.

There, that should keep you going.  ;-)
--
Richard Meyer
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.

Linux Counter user #306629