[plug] Bind / Dhcp / Dynamic DNS

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Sun May 10 16:09:23 WST 2009

Adam Davin <byteme-its at westnet.com.au> writes:
> On Wed, 06 May 2009 13:17:12 +0800
> Adrian Woodley <adrian at diskworld.com.au> wrote:

[...]

> I found the avahi-daemon was running, I stopped this and now it seems
> to be resolving local hosts with both the hostname and also the local
> domain so it would seem that avahi was definitely getting in the way.

You are probably better off removing the package, or deconfiguring mdns
support from your /etc/nsswitch.conf file.

> It is all resolving as long as the avahi daemon is not running.
> I think it may all be working now.

It was all working before, just not how you wanted.  Just sayin'

> On the '.local' subject, what is suggested for internal domains?

Anything else.  Using your public domain name, or a subdomain of it, is
a great choice.  Otherwise there isn't anything reserved for internal
use; .example, .invalid and .test are designed for different purposes,
and .localhost isn't right. :)

.lan is a popular choice; part of the reason for the outcry when MDNS
assumed control of .local was a lack of other choices.  These days,
though, the horse has bolted, so using .local is an invitation to
trouble.

Regards,
        Daniel

...alternately, just use MDNS internally, which is dandy on a network
where everyone trusts everyone else, and much less overhead.