[plug] Bind / Dhcp / Dynamic DNS

Adam Davin byteme-its at westnet.com.au
Sun May 10 21:46:34 WST 2009

Hi Daniel,

On Sun, 10 May 2009 18:09:23 +1000
Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net> wrote:

> Adam Davin <byteme-its at westnet.com.au> writes:
> > On Wed, 06 May 2009 13:17:12 +0800
> > Adrian Woodley <adrian at diskworld.com.au> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > I found the avahi-daemon was running, I stopped this and now it
> > seems to be resolving local hosts with both the hostname and also
> > the local domain so it would seem that avahi was definitely getting
> > in the way.
>
> You are probably better off removing the package, or deconfiguring
> mdns support from your /etc/nsswitch.conf file.

Ahh is that the magic file..

> > It is all resolving as long as the avahi daemon is not running.
> > I think it may all be working now.
>
> It was all working before, just not how you wanted.  Just sayin'

Well no.. not really, nothing seemed to be resolving previously
without me entering in all the hosts statically into the /etc/hosts
file on each machine. The reason for launching into bind / dynamic dns
and dhcp was because I have recently just had waaaay too many clashes
and IP conflicts with client networks recently and so as a way to
resolve this permanently I was going to change my IP range, however I
didn't really want to go through and change each host file only to
have to update each machine when I changed something else... soooo...
As a learning exercise and also to hopefully simplify things in the
future I hoped to make use of the above services.

Now it is resolving as expected where as before I embarked on all this
(even with avahi installed and running - possibly not configured as I
didn't really realise it was there...) I'd usually get an "unknown
host" if I tried to resolve a machine that was not in the hosts file.

> > On the '.local' subject, what is suggested for internal domains?
>
> Anything else.  Using your public domain name, or a subdomain of it,
> is a great choice.  Otherwise there isn't anything reserved for
> internal use; .example, .invalid and .test are designed for different
> purposes, and .localhost isn't right. :)
>
> .lan is a popular choice; part of the reason for the outcry when MDNS
> assumed control of .local was a lack of other choices.  These days,
> though, the horse has bolted, so using .local is an invitation to
> trouble.

This is all a kind of prelude to me actually getting bytemeit.com.au
pointing to my machines here and actually using the domain has I have
been planning to for a while.. I'll get there... eventually..

Thanks again all !!

Regards,

--

Adam Davin