[plug] Bind / Dhcp / Dynamic DNS

Adrian Woodley Adrian at Diskworld.com.au
Mon May 11 11:51:31 WST 2009

> > On the '.local' subject, what is suggested for internal domains?
>
> Anything else.  Using your public domain name, or a subdomain of it, is
> a great choice.  Otherwise there isn't anything reserved for internal
> use; .example, .invalid and .test are designed for different purposes,
> and .localhost isn't right. :)
>
> .lan is a popular choice; part of the reason for the outcry when MDNS
> assumed control of .local was a lack of other choices.  These days,
> though, the horse has bolted, so using .local is an invitation to
> trouble.

There isn't any specific requirement for a TLD, other than it should
clash with an existing domain.

Personally I tend to use the name of the company or network owner; ie at
home I use ".Diskworld" - nowhere does it say there has to be anything
after that. In your case I'd suggest using ".bytemeit".

Cheers,

Adrian