[plug] SMP Athlon MP 1600+

Bernd Felsche berfel at innovative.iinet.net.au
Wed May 20 15:25:34 WST 2009

Tim <weirdit at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 1:10 PM, Bernd Felsche
><berfel at innovative.iinet.net.au> wrote:

>>>it does POST no problem.

>>>I struggled to get it to boot from CD-ROM. USB boot is out of the
>>>question. And I've not yet managed to get it to boot off a hard drive
>>>from another machine (although as I previously said, the hard drive
>>>was playing up.).
>>>It does have floppy boot, but i'm fairly lacking on floppy technology
>>>now days, and was hoping I wouldn't have to drag out an older machine.
>>
>>>I'll have another try with the hard drive boot later today.
>>
>> Network boot PXE or Etherboot?

>Not tried that yet due to the fact my "server" was recently
>decomissioned and I haven't yet got my desktop machine to serve those
>functions.

>> Anyidea yet on the mainboard type and brand? What sort of BIOS?

>Tiger MP (S2460)
>http://www.tyan.com/archive/products/html/tigermp.html

No network boot off that mainboard ... but could be through PCI card
- though unlikely. Doesn't look like it's really worth doing.

Double-check all the mainboard jumpers.

Also, inspect the electrolytic caps on the mainboard for bulging
tops - which would indicate failure and likely unstable operations,
even if the mainboard POST succeeds.

Get an "older" IDE drive HDD or CD and see if the BIOS recognizes
it. I'm assuming that your video card is working, along with at
least the keyboard.

If you can get it booting off CD with something like SystemRescueCD,
then you should be able to chek out the hardware. If the IDE devices
aren't being recognized, then it's probably FUBER. Maybe a blown
Winbond chip.
\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | When we remember that we are all mad,
 X   against HTML mail     | the mysteries disappear and life stands
/ \  and postings          | explained. -- Mark Twain