[plug] Consolidated supply

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Fri Nov 6 08:18:08 WST 2009

Gavin Chester wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 20:35 +0800, Tim wrote:
>> Just a heads up that seems to have been missed. A few years back
>> telstra introduced a new thing about their lowest plan (approx $21 a
>> month) which prevents you getting broadband with anyone other than
>> telstra. To have broadband with someone other than telstra, and a
>> telstra land line, you need to be on the roughly $28 a month plan.
>
> You must have missed my previous post in this thread ...
>
> I posted that I have the cheapest telstra plan (21.55 with gst) yet use
> amnet for adsl. Either what you say is no longer true or never happened
> - or I have slipped under their radar. I'd have thought the ACCC would
> have had a thing or two to say about unfair competition that would have
> prevented telstra doing what you say. It would amount to consumer
> blackmail and may be an urban myth :-)

Oh, it's no urban myth. It may be the former however. There is no technical reason as you rightly
pointed out. Whether or not it is enforceable remains to be seen. In communication with the telco, a
quick reference to the ACCC seems to make the "problem" go away.

http://www.telstra.com.au/homephone/plans/homeline_budget.html
Check out footnote term 1.

Brad
--
Dolphins are so intelligent that within a few weeks they can
train Americans to stand at the edge of the pool and throw them