[plug] VNC access to an Ubuntu machine (or perhaps XDMCP)

Gregory Orange gregory.orange at rpsmetocean.com
Thu Oct 1 15:18:38 WST 2009

Hi all,
I'm dancing around a solution to this, but I'd like some advice from
those who know more than I - probably most of you :P

At the other end of a VPN connection we have an Ubuntu virtual machine
we'd like to access, preferably (due to my colleague's discomfort with
command line) straight to a Gnome session. The 'source' machine is
running Windows. Three options jump out:

(1) Use Ubuntu's System -> Preferences -> Remote Desktop tool plus any
old VNC viewer on the local machine. Works fine. Drawback: Must leave
the system logged in.

(2) XDMCP (System -> Administration -> Login Window -> Remote) plus
XMing's XLaunch. Sort of works:

(2a) Using 'one window' and 'start an XDMCP session' I get a
wallpaper-only blank screen for a few minutes then "GNOME Settings
Daemon failed to start". Removing .gconf* and .metacity etc then
starting again doesn't help, and neither did updating
gnome-settings-daemon past a bug which may have affected it.

(2b) Using 'multiple window' and entering gnome-session as the command
to run upon XLaunch connecting, the resulting Gnome desktop is blocky
and unwieldy and bigger than my monitor. Resizing or other such
interaction doesn't work.

(3) VNC. A few ways to do this, but one partly successful method we used
was to run tightvncserver on the remote machine, then connect to it with
any old VNC viewer on the local machine. In ~/.vnc/xstartup I told it to
run gnome-session, and it seems pretty good. Logging out leaves a
'stale' session which seems to require restarting the vncserver to get
it going again.

Option 3 seems the most promising so far. I'm looking for either
troubleshooting tips on (2) (and possible the stale session in (3)), and
advice on whether I'm going about this in totally the wrong way.

Cheers,
Greg.