[plug] VNC access to an Ubuntu machine (or perhaps XDMCP)

Ryan King communist.goatherder at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 16:11:51 WST 2009

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 3:48 PM, Matt Austin <mail at mattaustin.me.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 3:18 PM, Gregory Orange
> <gregory.orange at rpsmetocean.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I'm dancing around a solution to this, but I'd like some advice from those
>> who know more than I - probably most of you :P
>>
>> At the other end of a VPN connection we have an Ubuntu virtual machine we'd
>> like to access, preferably (due to my colleague's discomfort with command
>> line) straight to a Gnome session. The 'source' machine is running Windows.
>> Three options jump out:
>>

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'd recommend "no machine": http://www.nomachine.com/
>
> Works much better than VNC, and runs as a service so you don't have to
> be logged in. DIsadvantage is that it is not open, but free (as in
> beer) linux versions are provided, as well as clients for windows and
> macs.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matt.

I agree.  nomachine's nx server is a great piece of software and works
great over slow links.  Far better than VNC imho.

Just use nomachine's client software on your desktop and install
freenx on the server.  You can get freenx by adding this source to
your apt source.list:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/freenx-team/ubuntu jaunty main

Then just 'apt-get install freenx'

Ryan