[plug] VNC access to an Ubuntu machine (or perhaps XDMCP)

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Fri Oct 2 08:27:59 WST 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-01 at 15:18 +0800, Gregory Orange wrote:
> Hi all,
> t one partly successful method we used
> was to run tightvncserver on the remote machine, then connect to it with
> any old VNC viewer on the local machine. In ~/.vnc/xstartup I told it to
> run gnome-session, and it seems pretty good. Logging out leaves a
> 'stale' session which seems to require restarting the vncserver to get
> it going again.

This should work - you should be able to log back in at any point and be
where you left off (i.e., the stale session is a fault that should be
fixable.

Add to that web browser access (std part of vnc) if needed and zebedee
encrypted/compressed for tunnelling if needed (for low bandwidth links)
and you have a flexible solution that I used to use for quite a few
years.  I use gentoo, but ubuntu should present no problems.

BillK