[plug] VNC access to an Ubuntu machine (or perhaps XDMCP)

Gregory Orange gregory.orange at rpsmetocean.com
Fri Oct 2 09:41:21 WST 2009

Thanks all for suggestions. I'll try them one at a time until I'm happy
(well, until my mate is happy).

William Kenworthy wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-10-01 at 15:18 +0800, Gregory Orange wrote:
>> t one partly successful method we used
>> was to run tightvncserver on the remote machine, then connect to it with
>> any old VNC viewer on the local machine. In ~/.vnc/xstartup I told it to
>> run gnome-session, and it seems pretty good. Logging out leaves a
>> 'stale' session which seems to require restarting the vncserver to get
>> it going again.
>>
> This should work - you should be able to log back in at any point and be
> where you left off (i.e., the stale session is a fault that should be
> fixable.

I'm just calling gnome-session in xstartup. Should I be calling
something else to call that - gnome-login or something? I'll see if I
cna find startup scripts for the regular desktop interface and perhaps
mimic them in the meanwhile, but if you know something that will
shortcut my search... (:

> Add to that web browser access (std part of vnc) if needed and zebedee
> encrypted/compressed for tunnelling if needed (for low bandwidth links)
> and you have a flexible solution that I used to use for quite a few

Hmm, will consider those options. Using a VNC client seems perfectly
fine, but a browser might be more convenient.

Thanks again,
Greg.