[plug] alsa /etc/asound.conf and .asoundrc ignored

Lucas van Staden lvs at dedmeet.com
Mon Oct 19 10:36:51 WST 2009

Hi,

I am stuck, been hunting for a solution via google for hours...

I am attempting to add a new pcm device to my alsa configuration, making
use of the technique described here:

http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Ladspa_(plugin)

This is to see how well it can normalise volume on avi files.

No matter what I try, the new control / device does not appear to be
created.
I check by using aplay -L, and it is not listed.
I tried to point a player to using it, no sound.

As  a test, I also tried to create a softvolume control, as described
here, just to see if it works, but same, nothing.

I can only conclude that for some reason alsa is not loading the
information defined in /etc/asound.conf or ~/.asoundrc

I am using Ubuntu Jaunty.
I uninstalled pulseaudio from this box, as it and xbmc did not work well
together.

Any ideas?