[plug] Re: alsa /etc/asound.conf and .asoundrc ignored

Lucas van staden lvs at dedmeet.com
Tue Oct 20 23:12:22 WST 2009

Ok,

I have finally solved this, and for others I post my findings here, as it
took quite some searching to solve this. (see quiet a few posts about the
net with the same question as mine)

It was not that the /etc/asound.conf / ~/.asoundrc files were ignored.

>From my own findings, making changes to these files, and then using aplay -L
to list the pcm devices does not work.
Seems like aplay -L just lists the defaults (?)
I have seen the same happen in Ubuntu Karmic, where the new ladcomp pcm
exists, as I can use it, but it is not listed.
not even in alsamixer, (softvolume does appear in mixer, but still not in
aplay -L)
It was thus incorrectly assumed that the new pcm device must be visible to
the utilities (?), assumtion drawn from the fact that softvolume does.

It seems like Ubuntu Jaunty has an issue with libasound2.
it has not been compiled to include the ladcomp libs/calls (or whatever was
required to make alsa 'talk' to the ladcomp filters stored in
/usr/lib/ladspa (or /usr/lib64/ladspa))
So alsa was looking at the config files, but not accepting my changes as it
could not load the filters/libs requested.

This was seen clearly by running the command:

speaker-test -Dladcomp -c2 -twav

on the Jaunty based machine, which gave the error:

ALSA lib pcm.c:2205:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM ladcomp
Playback open error: -2,No such file or directory

Running the same command on Ubuntu Karmic (9.10), works fine with the exact
same config setup as tried in Jaunty

Now, I wonder if it actually works to normalise the volume......will find
put soon :)

-Lucas