[plug] hosts.deny over 6000 entries

Scott Middleton scott at assuretek.com.au
Thu Oct 29 19:38:18 WST 2009

Hi PLUGgers

I assume a lot of you know about the concerted worldwide attack of ssh
over the last few weeks.

My hosts.deny on my colo is now over 6000 long.

My question is: at what point is the file getting too large?

I use portsentry and denyhosts to block attacks and it is working
exceedingly well but there seems to be no end in sight. One night a
few weeks ago there were over 700 in 12 hours! I still get several a
day and  the last few days attacks have increased again.

I have had a total of three known Aussie IP addresses (with reverse
DNS) and have contacted them promptly.

Kind Regards

--
Scott Middleton