[plug] Proposal to discuss before Tuesday talk: GSLUG

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Sep 3 12:27:41 WST 2009

On Thu, 3 Sep 2009, Leon Brooks wrote:

> Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 11:34:45 +0800
> From: Leon Brooks <leon at cyberknights.com.au>
> To: plug at plug.org.au
> Subject: [plug] Proposal to discuss before Tuesday talk: GSLUG
>
> Great Southern LUG, covering Albany, Denmark, Mt Baker,
> Walpole, Narrikup, Tenterden, Porongorup, Elleker,
> Torbay...
>
> I know of self, Kev, Walter & a few others living here
> who see a crying need for Linux support down here.
>
> I know of (haven't met any personally) 3 Linux-
> knowledgable techs who have left the area within the
> last year, plus half a dozen others who idly use Linux
> for personal stuff.
>
> Cheers; Leon

To identify it as being in WA, how about WA Great Southern LUG
(WAGSLUG)?

If you are considering incorporation, from memory, a minimum of 5
members is required, to institute incorporation (see
http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/ConsumerProtection/Content/Business/Associations/Some_Basic_Information.html
, and the text under the heading "Eligibility for incorporation").

If sufficient interest exists, for a LUG as described, I think it is a
great idea.

It could also help "spread the message", in the Great Southern area,
including the possibility of getting local governments and businesses,
to switch to Linux, to cut costs (and increase computer system security
and reliability), and this would all be enhanced, by having a specific
LUG, local to the area, with listed support professionals.

The message above, does not indicate whether a separate mailing list
would be wanted, or whether the members of WAGSLUG (?) would simply be,
or, continue to be, members of this list. Either or both options, should
be workable and useful.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale