[plug] system time borking

Gavin Chester gavin.chester at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 21:47:59 WST 2009

My acer lappie has been misbehaving for last few weeks by losing its
system time. At every boot it resets to a random date in the past -
sometimes as far back as a few years. Suspecting flat cmos battery, I
opened up the cover where the ram sockets are and replaced the lithium
battery I found there (it seemed the only accessible, removeable
battery). That didn't seem to fix things, so in desperation I suspected
the ntp daemon not finding a good server connection at boot. Turning
that off doesn't seem to help either. Any clues?

BTW: each time I reset the lappie time by doing a ntpdate with uwa's
time server

Gavin