[plug] OT: Pool of IPs for testing load-balanced connections

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Fri Sep 4 10:25:16 WST 2009

On Fri, 2009-09-04 at 09:18 +0800, Adrian Woodley wrote:

Can you side step the issue, instead of checking the "Internet", is it
acceptable to just check that the other end of the link is up?

I take it pfsense or something else requires the ping - i.e., its a
function of the software you are using and not your own scripts?  So can
you extract the routing table and get the address of the other end of
the link on the fly - or alias it in the hosts file once discovered?
ppp and other point-to-point links can give it direct from the
interface.  It may also be possible to some kind of route discovery over
the link to refine things (i.e., see further than just the local link,
use the dns server given over ppp or dhcp if used - may need some simple
logic)

If you need to "know" the IP address externally (i.e., on an outside
host looking to see when the system appears on the Internet on an
unknown IP, use a dynamic DNS that it can update when connected.

To me it seems that your routing tables will know if a link is up or
not, so use that info.

BillK