[plug] GSLUG & acronyms

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Sep 10 09:57:28 WST 2009

On Wed, 9 Sep 2009, Leon Brooks wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 01:51:56 pm Steve Boak wrote:
>> On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 11:34:45 am Leon Brooks wrote:
>>> Great Southern LUG, covering Albany, Denmark, Mt
>>> Ba[r]ker, Walpole, Narrikup, Tenterden, Porongorup,
>>> Elleker, Torbay...
>
>> + Nannup, and I know of users in Greenbushes, Augusta
>> and Kojunup.
>
> Not to mention Katanning, Wagin, Brookton, Esperance,
> Kalgoorlie, Meekatharra, Geraldton, Dampier/Karratha,
> Port/South Hedland, Tom Price, Paraburdoo, Pannawonica,
> Mt Newman, Broome, Derby, Wyndham (I know one school
> there which uses a Linux server), Kununurra, Bremer
> Bay, Margaret River, Busselton, Dunsborough, Pemberton,
> Manjimup, Beverley...
>
> Was driven through/past Williams, Arthur River, Beaufort,
> Kojonup, Cranbrook today...
>
> Acronym time...
>
> How about LUCCIWA for Linux Users Country Community In WA?
>
> POSUPER for Penguin/Open Source User Programme,
> Esperance-Roebourne?
>
> Yes, all right, that was a bit stretched... the idea is to
> use your imagination, to come up with some cunning acronym
> which will fairly represent Linux people in country WA.
>
> Have a go!
>
> Cheers; Leon

I think either GSLUG or (I prefer) WAGSLUG; the name "Great Southern"
better reflects the region for which the group would be started, and, I
think that, to try to include all of non-metropolitan WA, would make it
a bit cumbersome ("Ah, so you are in Albany and I am in Broome, so, for
you to come up and look at my LAN will only take you a couple of days by
car, or, a day by aeroplane, each way, for you to come and do a free
quote to  fix my LAN and provide ongoing, onsite support on a 24 hour
turnaround basis.").

So, I think either GSLUG or, better, WAGSLUG, is most appropriate.

But, "it is your baby" - it is up to you.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

  you'll know what the answer means."