[plug] PLUG servers, and Meetings

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Mon Aug 23 16:28:46 WST 2010

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010, Tim wrote:

> Lastly, as President I've somewhat let you guys down of recent due to
> having very limited internet for the last 3 or so months. I'm now
> settled in QLD, in a location that can't even get ADSL1 (it would if
> telstra put more dslams in), so am limited to mobile broadband still.
> But, I now have a good gateway machine setup, that gets great
> reception (weather dependent) and also makes connecting easy. So,
> hopefully my connection is stable enough that I can participate in
> plug still. I believe Skype works, so SIP should work too.

So, PLUG is now based in Qld? If the President is living in Qld, it
seems a bit weird.

> So, out next meeting should be Sept 14th. I've not seen anything said
> about meetings since last meeting should have happened, and I've not
> heard if anything has been organised for Sept 14th. So firstly, the
> meeting should be at the normal place, the Futuresphere, Patrick will
> let us know if that can't happen. It should be 7:30pm WST.
> Do we have anyone who wishes to present a talk that night?
> Also, do we have anyone who wishes to play around with Ekiga (SIP) and
> see if we can have a "teleconference" for those who can't be there
> physically?

I had installed Ekiga on a number of machines, and have given up on it
as a bad joke - it doesn't work and it appears to be unsupported, from
my experience.

Skype exists, and, whilst it may be proprietary, it seems to be out
there and supported.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale