[plug] PLUG servers, and Meetings

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Mon Aug 23 20:59:24 WST 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-23 at 20:49 +0800, Brad Campbell wrote:
> On 23/08/10 16:23, Bret Busby wrote:
> > I had installed Ekiga on a number of machines, and have given up on it
> > as a bad joke - it doesn't work and it appears to be unsupported, from
> > my experience.
>
> I've used ekiga quite a bit in conjunction with asterisk, zoiper and hardware sip devices. It seemed
> to work ok when configured properly. (used being the operative word. Now I no longer live in a
> country with an oppressive government I have less need for encrypted VOIP - I just live in a country
> with a population who can't actually decide who they want to govern!).
>
> Brad

Ekiga to Ekiga and Ekiga to NetMeeting (using gnugatekeeper to
coordinate) always worked once I sorted out the convoluted firewall
games it needed.  I did find that you always need to be on the bleeding
edge version as they didnt do much fixing on older versions.

What didnt work was getting it (and NetMeeting at times) working with so
called professional Sony Video conferencing equipment.  Random way
video/audio was just one of the problems - seemed like there was a
random number generator - which codec will we negotiate today - I know,
the one we dont have in common :(

BillK