[plug] Syncing live Data

Adam Davin byteme-its at westnet.com.au
Fri Dec 3 08:21:01 WST 2010

G'day Mitch,

On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 21:01:42 +0800
"Mitch Kelly" <mitch at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au> wrote:

> We are planning to setup 2 sites over wireless links however need to
> make sure the data is replicated to each site every 5 or so minutes,
> Would there be a way to sync this data that fast? Perhaps some sort
> of file alteration monitor?
>
> At the office we have a linux server (ubuntu server) and at the
> remote ends Windows 2008 Server boxes, Mounting the drives as SMB
> shares is the easy part.

This was in one of the feeds I read through recently..

http://lxer.com/module/newswire/ext_link.php?rid=145173

Its talking about the kernel "notify" interface which can be told to
monitor file systems and report on changes. Something like this wrapped
in a bash script and calling unison (for example) might be what you are
after.. Unison will work with both windows and linux for file
synchronisation. There are a couple of tricks with windows. The most
notable making sure you have

   perms=0

in your sync profile. This tells unison not to sync permissions. There
is another one that tells windows to do a "fast check" when syncing but
I don't have that on me right at this moment.

Hope this helps

--

Adam Davin
Byteme IT Services