[plug] Syncing live Data

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Fri Dec 3 11:24:45 WST 2010

Adam Davin <byteme-its at westnet.com.au> writes:
> On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 21:01:42 +0800
> "Mitch Kelly" <mitch at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au> wrote:
>
>> We are planning to setup 2 sites over wireless links however need to make
>> sure the data is replicated to each site every 5 or so minutes, Would there
>> be a way to sync this data that fast? Perhaps some sort of file alteration
>> monitor?
>>
>> At the office we have a linux server (ubuntu server) and at the
>> remote ends Windows 2008 Server boxes, Mounting the drives as SMB
>> shares is the easy part.

I would pay Dropbox a non-trivial amount of money to solve the problem for
you, because I don't know of any other sub-$10K solution that will cross those
two platforms.[1]

If you could put a Linux box at the second site, rather than a Win32 machine,
you could do more though....

> This was in one of the feeds I read through recently..
> http://lxer.com/module/newswire/ext_link.php?rid=145173

http://code.google.com/p/lsyncd/ is a much better implementation of that same
concept.  However, that would only work one way because you can't inotify
over a CIFS/SMBFS mount.

Anyway, Mitch, if you can deploy a Linux system at both ends you could
investigate using glusterfs or xtreemfs to share data between them, and then
CIFS-exporting that to the Win32 systems on the network.

It would still not provide a perfect solution, but it would at least suck less
than the alternatives.

        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  OTOH, there might be one that I don't know about.  I have not
     exhaustively research the space in the last couple of years.