[plug] Apache Error Log

Tim weirdit at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 15:29:31 WST 2010

I recently was trying to diagnose a Fatal PHP error a webapp was
giving. Annoyingly, in apache's error.log file, it doesn't tell you
what the url was that caused the problem. It tells you the file that
the problem is in, the line number, but not how it got to that file.
This particular web app was chocking on an include file, but only when
included from one particular script. How ever, the error occured when
another url was accessed, when then loaded some javascript, which then
loaded the file that caused the error. All the noise from the working
url in the log files, drowned out the fact that another url was being
accessed and that it was causing the problem. Admittedly, the
access.log file contains the url, however there is no nice connection
between the error in the log file, and the corresponding access line.
(And in this case, the referer didn't help ether).

I can't seem to find anyway to modify the error logfile format. The
access log can be customised as much as you want, but the error log
appears stuck in it's format. Does anyone know of a method to modify
the error.log so it displays the url that caused the error?

Thanks

Tim

--
Timothy White - Somewhere in Australia