[plug] cannot send mail to certain domains

Peter demo9 at gswd.com
Wed Feb 3 13:25:07 WST 2010

Jon Miller wrote:
> Hi Matt,
> Yes I understand they are two separate issue, unfortunately this
> server has several issues, so I'm asking questions not in any
> particular order.  I'll change that so that we can be on the same page
> at the same time.
>
> ok first thing first
> There is mention of the internal ip address in the /etc/postfix/transport.
> Is there supposed to be anything in there?
>
> Jon
>

> > Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 12:34:15 +0800
> > From: zombie at penguincare.com.au
> > To: plug at plug.org.au
> > Subject: RE: [plug] cannot send mail to certain domains
> >
> > Hi Jon
> >
> > You seem to be confusing the two seperate issues here.
> >
> > The "cannot send mail to certain domains" is a DNS issue. The "I can
> not
> > receive email" is a local postfix configuration issue.
> >
> > On Wed, 3 Feb 2010, quoth Jon Miller:
> >
> > > Feb 3 12:22:07 mmtlnx postfix/smtp[25064]: 4B24D365E2:
> > > to=<jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au>, relay=none, delay=2, status=bounced
> > > (mail for 192.168.2.247 loops back to myself)
> >
> > Where did the 192.168.2.247 come from?
> >
> > Is that anywhere in your postfix/main.cf or /etc/aliases or
> /etc/postfix/virtual?
> >
> > > What I do not understand is why it's still looping back to the server.
> >
> > Because the server doesn't realise the message is for itself, so it
> tries
> > to pass it on, only to discover it is talking to itself.
> >
> > - Matt

Hi Jon,

Can I ask for a bit of general clarification (I've only been skimming
you e-mails)?

If I understand you correctly, you have an in-house mail server (private
IP) and you had a DNS (in house?) but moved this off site to MelbourneIT
hosted DNS servers.....    Is that right?

If your mail server was configured to use a local DNS but is now looking
to the web (external DNS) it will get confused.

Eg.  If you ping mmtnetworks.com.au from the server, does it reply
192.168.2.247 or 203.153.225.77 ?    If the server itself thinks that
mmtnetworks.com.au is out on the the internet (203.153.225.77), local
delivery won't work:  You cannot send and receive mail through the same
physical connection.

If you do not have an in-house DNS, you need to make sure any local
domains are (at the very least) in the 'hosts' file on the local server
and /or in your DHCP config for other machines on your network.

Or did I completely misunderstand what you are trying to do?

Cheers,
Peter