[plug] What would encourage membership of PLUG?

Tim White weirdit at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 09:31:23 WST 2010

My wife and I were talking about PLUG after our failed AGM last week.
She wanted to know what are the benefits of joining PLUG and why would
anyone bother?
Well, here is what the website says.

*Benefits of joining:*

    * Being a PLUG member entitles you to borrow CDs and books from the
      PLUG library <http://www.plug.org.au/resources/library>.
    * You get an account on the club's computers (kettle.plug.org.au and
      spark.plug.org.au), including web space for your own web pages and
      an e-mail address @plug.org.au. (See our terms and conditions
      <http://www.plug.org.au/resources/shell-account> for shell access.)
    * Free coffee (or other drink) with a kebab at Plaka Café in
      Northbridge.
    * PLUG members get a 10% discount at Linux IT
      <http://www.linuxit.com.au/>.
    * You also get spiffy card with a penguin on it.

So my question is, what more could we offer as a group, for paid
members, that would encourage membership? It's not expensive, a year's
membership costs $10 (full membership) or $5 (concession). So what would
stop people from being paid members?

On a technical side of things, I know with the new server, when it is
running, we hope to be running Xen, so we can have a number of Virtual
Machines available for people to play with. Is this something that would
be attractive to members? On the webserver currently, for less than a $1
a month, you get more hosting space than most cheap hosts give you for
$10 a month. (Having said that, it's not an invitation to start hosting
large websites with lots of traffic, as all our traffic is kindly
donated to us and we wouldn't want to cost our host large amounts in
traffic, but I think WAIX traffic is generally acceptable if larger
quantities than non-WAIX).

Anyway, I just thought I'd put this out to the sleeping list, and
encourage some discussion about it.

What would you want PLUG to offer paid members, that would encourage
your membership?

Thanks

Tim
p.s. I would love it if someone could check about the discounts we
advertise that you can get, with Plaka and Linux IT, to see if we can
still get them. Also, any other business owners/managers that want to
add a discount, please do!