[plug] What would encourage membership of PLUG? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Scott Middleton scott at assuretek.com.au
Fri Feb 19 11:00:38 WST 2010

Its funny as techs; anywhere we hear "phone" we automatically think tech
support.

I am not talking about telephone tech support. Never tech support. Only a
automated information service about how to access PLUG services.

As I said in my very first email I get several calls a month from potential
new members. I have been for years. It seems to me that most of  those
potential new members that I forward to PLUG, DO NOT TURN INTO ACTUAL
MEMBERS. Until this thread I thought they were!

My suggestion for a phone service comes from people asking me (after I
mention PLUG) "what is their phone number". Then I have to go into a spiel
about how to get that Linux support via subscribing to a mailing list.

If the goal is more members then you have to go the path of least
resistance.
Forum over email (at least Forum more important than mailing list)
Maybe facebook group or other social networking.
Informational phone service.

Jeez we're in the second decade of the new millennium and we are still using
1990's method of communication.

On 19 February 2010 10:40, Jason Posavec <jasonposavec at iinet.net.au> wrote:

> Brad Campbell wrote:
>
>> Scott Middleton wrote:
>>
>> I said maybe a phone number with a
>>
>>> recorded message.
>>>

>> "Have you tried turning it off and back on again?"
>>
>>  I really should send you a bill for cleaning the coffee off my screen...
> :)
>
> Jason

Scott Middleton
Managing Director
Linux Consultants Pty Ltd t/as AssureTek
Email - Scott at assuretek.com.au
Phone - 1300 551 696
Mobile - 0400 212 724