[plug] Dailup Modem troubles.

doodli doodli at tadaust.org.au
Fri Feb 19 11:23:58 WST 2010

Yes, some poor soul still have to use them. My dailup internet service
at the moment is terribly unreliable . Sometimes it stays connected  the
full time but other times it is all over the place in duration .  Below
is the last section of the connection log in Opensuse 11.2 64Bit. This
is the same problem using 3 different modems on 3 different computers
using 3 different operating systems. OpenSuse 11 +11.2, Windows 7 RC
trail version, and winXP.  The only constants now are the ISP and this
house.
Now, I'm just sought of wondering out loud here, not knowing a terrible
lot about electronics at all, we seem to suffer a fair few mini
brownouts, being in the middle of nowhere and the last on the power
lines, our lights and tv flicker (darken and sometimes even brighten),
could this sort of carry on cause the modem to drop the connection?? or
could it trip the dtr into causing the modem to hangup.
Any suggestions that a clean and wholesome and could fix our problem are
most welcome. The ISP says they can see no problems at their end,
Telstra says , well really nothing of terrible interest other then it is
our fault.
Call waiting has been turned off. Automatic disconnect is turned off.

Status is: connected
pppd[0]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
pppd[0]: Modem hangup
pppd[0]: Connect time 45.1 minutes.
pppd[0]: Sent 1857487 bytes, received 7118866 bytes.
pppd[0]: restoring old default route to eth0 [192.168.1.1]
pppd[0]: Connection terminated.
pppd[0]: Script /etc/ppp/ip-down finished (pid 15148), status = 0x0
Status is: disconnected
pppd[0] died: A modem hung up the phone (exit code 16)