[plug] What would encourage membership of PLUG? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Peter demo9 at gswd.com
Fri Feb 19 13:11:56 WST 2010

David Lloyd wrote:
> Hmmm,

In some ways, the answer to that question is simply "yes".

I agree with you, when someone is asking for 'free' assistance, they
should be happy with whatever is being offered, regardless of the
language.  The reality however (in my experience) is different.  Our
language is often incomprehensible to the 'average joe' and we are
talking here about attracting new members to plug and promoting the use
of Linux & open source software.

If we want to make Linux attractive (and by association make membership
of PLUG meaningful) then we need to offer easy access to information....
and easy access to knowledgeable people (even if that costs us a little
time and dare I say $$$).

I run a computer services business but often go out of my way
(sacrificing both time and money) to assist those that are new to
Linux.  I see it as an investment into the future where many (if not
all) of my regular customers will hopefully be using Linux & open source
software.

My experience has been, if you make those first few steps as easy as
possible, these 'babies' soon learn to walk on their own and most never
look back (to that other OS).

One of the best ways to share meaningful information (in my view) is to
have a comprehensive, up-to-date website (including a forum?) as a
starting point.  The current plug website is out of date and (IMHO)
doesn't contain a lot of useful up-to-date info.

Some of the things I would like to see on http://plug.org.au :  (some of
these exist already but as already noted are out of date)

* An events calendar with at least three month of 'upcoming' events.
Some of these could be other 'technology' related things in and around
Perth.... it doesn't all have to be PLUG specific.

* An up-to-date list (with mugshots) of committee members and other
PLUGgers with specific skills....  and a means to contact them.

* An FAQ section

* A Links Section:  links to specific distro related sites, etc. with an
emphasis on easy-to-use distros like Ubuntu & Mint.

* A forum

* LOTS of other thing I can't think of right now........

* Etc,

* Etc,

I have no idea if anyone in particular is currently responsible for the
website (and I apologise if stepped on any toes) but to my way of
thinking, our website is our 'storefront'.....      Would you buy a new
car from a dealer that keeps talking about 5 year old models and doesn't
seem to have any idea what is current?

And thus ends my RANT!

PS.  If it'll help, I am willing to work on some of the above.....     I
volunteer for the "Website Update Working Group".........

Peter.