[plug] Dailup Modem troubles.

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Fri Feb 19 18:27:00 WST 2010

On 19 Feb 2010 at 11:23, doodli wrote:

> Yes, some poor soul still have to use them. My dailup internet service
> at the moment is terribly unreliable . Sometimes it stays connected  the
> full time but other times it is all over the place in duration .  Below
> is the last section of the connection log in Opensuse 11.2 64Bit. This
> is the same problem using 3 different modems on 3 different computers
> using 3 different operating systems. OpenSuse 11 +11.2, Windows 7 RC
> trail version, and winXP.  The only constants now are the ISP and this
> house.
> Now, I'm just sought of wondering out loud here, not knowing a terrible
> lot about electronics at all, we seem to suffer a fair few mini
> brownouts, being in the middle of nowhere and the last on the power
> lines, our lights and tv flicker (darken and sometimes even brighten),
> could this sort of carry on cause the modem to drop the connection?? or
> could it trip the dtr into causing the modem to hangup.
> Any suggestions that a clean and wholesome and could fix our problem are
> most welcome. The ISP says they can see no problems at their end,
> Telstra says , well really nothing of terrible interest other then it is
> our fault.
> Call waiting has been turned off. Automatic disconnect is turned off.
>
> Status is: connected
> pppd[0]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
> pppd[0]: Modem hangup
> pppd[0]: Connect time 45.1 minutes.
> pppd[0]: Sent 1857487 bytes, received 7118866 bytes.
> pppd[0]: restoring old default route to eth0 [192.168.1.1]
> pppd[0]: Connection terminated.
> pppd[0]: Script /etc/ppp/ip-down finished (pid 15148), status = 0x0
> Status is: disconnected
> pppd[0] died: A modem hung up the phone (exit code 16)

Have you tried unplugging all telephone equipment (including - cordless
phones, answering machines) before connecting with your dialup modem ?

If you have more than one telephone device/socket in your house - have
you tried using a different socket for the dialup modem ?

Then - when you have a stable connection with your dialup modem, plug in
the other telephone devices - one at a time and check your connection
before you again plug in any/each other device.

It could take quite a bit of time to sort it out - but it could highlight
a problem with other devices on your line.

If you are in a remote area on a remote line that is affected by moisture
at connection terminals and junctions boxes, you could be getting side
effects caused by voltage swings - especially when another subscriber in
your area receives an incoming ring tone on their line.

This might cause your modem to hang up.

HTH

Regards Arie