[plug] /var/cache/apt/archives/?

Michael Holland michael.holland at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 21:37:35 WST 2010

2010/1/6 Kev <kdownes at oceanbroadband.net>:
> Greetings once again,
>
> If I take a copy of the contents of /var/cache/apt/archives/ and copy it
> into the same place in a fresh installation of the same OS, how do go about
> getting my package manager to see the files so copied

You shouldn't have to do anything. It just looks there for them before
downloading.
It worked fine for me.

Another way is to use a caching proxy like apt-proxy.

> and use them instead
> of downloading them afresh?  I've tried an apt-get update, but that didn't
> seem to do it.

That would not be looking at your cache. It looks at the repository to
see what is newest.
When you "apt-get upgrade" it should get them from cache if possible.