[plug] telstra and ubuntu 9.10

Lucas van Staden lvs at dedmeet.com
Fri Jan 8 09:44:45 WST 2010

Hello Orm, and welcome to Linux.

Yep, Telstra is not very Linux friendly. I no longer mention Linux to
them, as it immediately throws up a brick wall. They like to blame any
issues you have on Linux.

Ok, to your issue:

I have never personally used one of those (hopefully someone on the list
can help from experience)
Some additional information is required.

Do you actually make a connection?

Do this:

Unplug the device, and open a terminal window.

tail -f /var/log/dmesg

(what you are doing is monitoring the activity in the dmesg log file.
This will show you how your system reacted to the device, when plugged in. )

Now plug in the device, and you will see new entries appearing in the
log file. Grab those entries and post them back to the list.
To break and get back to the prompt, press ctrl+c

Also, whilst the device is plugged in, do:

lsusb

This will list all your connected usb devices.
Post the result to the list, as it will help to clearly identify the device.

You will see a device and vendor id in the list (looks like this:
1d6b:0002). Identify your device in the list, and then check this page

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NetworkManager/Hardware/3G

and see if your device is listed. From this you can get an idea of how
well it is supported.

Additionally, I would like to suggest you have a look a Linux Mint.
(www.linuxmint.com)
This distrobution is based on Ubuntu, so you get all the ubuntu
advantages, plus the fact that Linux Mint is easier to use, especially
for first time Linux users.

The downloaded CD can work as a live-cd. This means you can give it a
try (and test your modem with it) without having to install it first.
Just pop in the cd, and boot from it. (it will be slower than running on
a hard drive, so don't consider speed as a deciding factor to do an
install. It will also successfully do a dual boot install, so you can
keep ubuntu on your system as well, if you so prefer)

(I know this is subjective, but I have personally converted many XP
users to linux, using Linux Mint. I have found this distro to be the
easiest for people to cross-over with. Personally I use Ubuntu)

-Lucas