[plug] telstra and ubuntu 9.10

Peter demo9 at gswd.com
Fri Jan 8 18:17:27 WST 2010

------ snip ----

------- snip --------

> -Lucas

I agree with Lucas on the Linux Mint comments.......  I use Mint myself
and have converted many of my customers using Mint.   (Telstra are going
to have to start taking some notice eventually but I'm not holding my
breath just yet...

Back to the subject......

Network Manager (I use Mint as noted above) detects some usb 3G modems
but, personally, I have had more success connecting various modems using
good ol' fashion wvdial  ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wvdial )

To use wvdial:

Follow Lucas' instructions to work out if the modem is supported...  if
it is:

In a console do:

sudo apt-get install wvdial

you then need to find/edit wvdial.conf in /etc  or create a new one in
~  (your home directory).

The wvdial.conf file should contain something like:

[Dialer Defaults]
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB1
Modem Type = USB Modem
Baud = 460800
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Carrier Check = no
Dial Command = ATDT
Phone = *99#
Username = yourusername at yourprovider.com
Password = yourpassword
Auto Reconnect = yes

you will need to add/remove ingredients to taste....  using 'lsusb' etc,
as per Lucas' e-mail.

When you think it's right, save the file and then create a new launcher
on the desktop pointing to "wvdial" or simply open a terminal and type
"sudo wvdial"  (if using the system wide conf file) or simply "wvdial"
if using a conf file in you home directory....

wvdial.conf has many options:

do "man wvdial.conf" in a terminal to learn more

have fun!

Cheers,
Peter