[plug] telstra and ubuntu 9.10

Russell Steicke russellsteicke at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 14:32:03 WST 2010

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 9:01 AM, orm <ormg1 at bigpond.com> wrote:
> my name is orm girvan, marine engineer, 67 (bit long in tooth for learning
> new tricks but, trying). Complete novice on Linux. Watching the list (plug,
> that is) for some time, convinced me to try ubuntu.
>
> Very impressed with ubuntu but, not with Telstra! I have a Globe Trotter
> HSDPA modem interface and, am on the Telstra NextG broadband plan.

You possibly need this:

  http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/

since something that sounds like your device appears on that page.

If you plug in the modem, and get a USB storage device appear, then
you almost certainly need it.

>From that page:

'Several new USB devices (especially high-speed wireless WAN stuff,
there seems to be a chipset from Qualcomm offering that feature) have
their MS Windows drivers onboard; when plugged in for the first time
they act like a flash storage and start installing the driver from
there. After that (and on every consecutive plugging) this driver
switches the mode internally, the storage device vanishes (in most
cases), and a new device (like an USB modem) shows up. The WWAN gear
maker Option calls that feature "ZeroCD (TM)".'

There is a link to a package for ubuntu there.

I will be trying this soon myself, as I need to help someone else get
a similar device (a ZTE device, also listed there) to work with his
laptop.

Russell

> Telstra has no interest in Linux users I find, hence my appeal for help from
> plug.
>
> There is no problem with transmit / receive when connecting here in
> Esperance, using Windows XP so, why not same with ubuntu?

Virus found in this message.