[plug] virtualization remote access

Lucas van Staden lvs at dedmeet.com
Mon Jan 11 13:39:25 WST 2010

Peter wrote:
> Lucas van Staden wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I run windows on my ubuntu machine inside sun virtualbox. (installed
>> windows xp in it from scratch)
>> Works great, and when fullscreen, you'd not even know it was linux
>> underneath. (this is on a quad core, with 16 gigs of memory)
>>
>> Also, I'd suggest you try the windows applications you want to try
>> inside linux, using wine. You'd be surprised on how many work like that.
>>
>> Distro: I'd suggest (again) Linux Mint. I have converted my wife from
>> XP to it in a matter of days, and she now prefers it (as well as many
>> others, which includes my 50+ mother in law))
>
> I am (again) with Lucas on this one.  Linux Mint + Sun Virtualbox +
> Windows XP works very well.
>
> If you go down this path... install Mint 8,  then on the Main Menu, go
> into
> 'Software Manager' and then click on Featured Applications:
> Virtualbox is listed: tick the box and apply..... easy.
> Remember to go into Users and Groups (Control Center) and update the
> user to have access to virtual machines (group).
> Then run virtual box (on the menu under 'Sun Virtualbox') and install
> XP....   simple.
Ran into an issue with that install, just last week. The virtualbox
version with Ubuntu is the OSE version, which lacks USB support. This
meant I could not run my printer directly in the guest OS.
I could access my printer as a network printer (shared via CUPS to the
Guest), but I required direct access for the CD printing capabilities
(which was in fact the sole reason why I had to install windows, could
not find any working cd-printing software that worked with my HP C5280
for cd-printing - any suggestions welcomed).

If you need USB in the guest OS, you need to follow this guide:
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-virtualbox-202-in-ubuntu-804-hardy-heron.html
(and stating the obvious - adjust for your distro (Jaunty/karmic etc)

-Lucas