[plug] virtualization remote access

Peter demo9 at gswd.com
Mon Jan 11 13:07:29 WST 2010

Lucas van Staden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I run windows on my ubuntu machine inside sun virtualbox. (installed
> windows xp in it from scratch)
> Works great, and when fullscreen, you'd not even know it was linux
> underneath. (this is on a quad core, with 16 gigs of memory)
>
> Also, I'd suggest you try the windows applications you want to try
> inside linux, using wine. You'd be surprised on how many work like that.
>
> Distro: I'd suggest (again) Linux Mint. I have converted my wife from
> XP to it in a matter of days, and she now prefers it (as well as many
> others, which includes my 50+ mother in law))

I am (again) with Lucas on this one.  Linux Mint + Sun Virtualbox +
Windows XP works very well.

If you go down this path... install Mint 8,  then on the Main Menu, go into
'Software Manager' and then click on Featured Applications:  Virtualbox
is listed: tick the box and apply..... easy.
Remember to go into Users and Groups (Control Center) and update the
user to have access to virtual machines (group).
Then run virtual box (on the menu under 'Sun Virtualbox') and install
XP....   simple.

Networking: Once installed, the 'new' XP machine should show up on your
network (you will need to make sure it's in the correct 'workgroup')
If required, edit "workgroup=???" in /etc/samba/smb.conf  (on Mint) to
match....

I have an i7 based quad core machine (12GB RAM) and have run up to 8
different OS's at the same time on Mint & Virtualbox!

Cheers,
Peter