[plug] Allowing only 1 user read access to a file at a time.

Carl Gherardi carl.gherardi at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 22:43:04 WST 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 5:52 PM, Michael Holland
<michael.holland at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/1/11 Carl Gherardi <carl.gherardi at gmail.com>:
>
>> This is a crap solution - effectively i'm looking for something like a
>> license server, but that feels like overkill too.
>
> The traditional way is to print it. And keep the only copy in a locked room.
> Anyone entering the room must be searched for hidden cameras.
> Its all a bit silly really.  Would you be happy with advisory locks?

We actually have two separate secure rooms at the office with similar
requirements, the issue with this document is that it is needed on
both coasts regularly enough that transport would be a pain in the
ass. I'm working in hte other direction as well - ie. Do we really
need this? what other options do we have?

> Are you talking about an NFS server?

At the moment it actually resides on a windows file server, but i'm
looking for a linux based solution - either presented via samba, or
web based. Any solution is going to need to auth against AD.

> What about using a  web interface to read the document?
> A bit of scripting on a web server should do the job. Either limit it
> to one IP address, or use a login with existing network
> authentication?

I thought about rolling my own web service, but decided against it -
determining that the document had been closed seemed tricky enough
that I went looking for a prefab solution.

Standard ci, co semantics would work. None or the dms or cms systems
seem to support the 'only readable while checked out' option.

I was hoping someone would know an selinux/systemx rule for exclusive
access off the top of their head.

Carl G