[plug] boot from stick

Kev kdownes at oceanbroadband.net
Mon Jan 11 21:33:41 WST 2010

Why not just use the KISS principle.  usb-creator-gtk or usb-creator-kde
work a-treat!

orm wrote:
> Thanks Ishwor.
> How do I write the master boot record to the 1st 512 bytes and, where
> do i find that record?
>
> Ishwor Gurung wrote:
>> Hi Orm,
>>
>> 2010/1/11 orm <ormg1 at bigpond.com>:
>> [...]
>>
>>> The CD i have is short on space to burn LinuxMint-8. Can i extract
>>> Mint-8 to
>>> a USB stick, then boot from the stick instead of from a CD?
>>>

>> In short yes - You have to make sure you write the master boot record
>> into the first 512 byte  of your USB stick (boot sector) and then make
>> sure your BIOS supports booting off USB.There are very many guides on
>> the net to help you with that.
>> --
>> Regards
>> Ishwor Gurung
>> Key id:0xa98db35e
>> Key fingerprint:FBEF 0D69 6DE1 C72B A5A8  35FE 5A9B F3BB 4E5E 17B5

Kev Downes
The Other Other Operation
kdownes at oceanbroadband.net  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We currently use Xandros 4.1
There are 10 types of people ...
   ... those who understand binary, and those who don't!
Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous
mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that
it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.