[plug] Recycled machines

Peter demo9 at gswd.com
Mon Jan 18 09:45:15 WST 2010

Kai wrote:
> Hi guys and girls,
>
> I just finished rebuilding two machines out of four machines, installed
> Ubuntu 9.10 on them so the new user won't have to worry about licensing
> or anything else. Gunna find someone local here who needs a computer,
> but can't afford one...and give them a late Christmas prezzie.
>
> Just wanna know if anyone has any suggestions of a Linux distro that
> would be more suited to new users than Ubuntu? I mean Ubuntu's pretty
> good but yeah, I'm open to ideas.
>
> There's a guy in town who's son's mentally handicapped, does EdUbuntu or
> KUbuntu have some more useful features for him to do some brain
> exercises and that kinda stuff?
>
> Cheers
> Kai

I'm with the others that already replied to this thread.   Mint is easy
to use and everything just works straight out of the box (or off the iso
in this case).  And because it's based on unbuntu, there are plenty of
packages and there's plenty of support....    Ubuntu packages just work
with Mint and (in a pinch) you also have the option of loading most
debian packages too.

And because Mint is based on ubuntu, it's also compatible with edubuntu
packages, although most of the edubuntu stuff apppears to be KDE based
(Mint, like Ubuntu use the Gnome desktop by default).   If you check out
the "Community Editions" on  linuxmint.com , there is a KDE edition,
although it's running a little behind (currently version 7, not 8 yet
like the 'main' edition).

You could load the Linux Mint KDE Edition (v7 is based on unbuntu 9.04)
and then add the edubuntu packages you think might be suitable.
You could also start with Mint 8 and then install the edubuntu
stuff..... this will also install the required KDE packages (bigger
download)...  so it's flexible.

Cheers,
Peter