[plug] Print Servers

Peter demo9 at gswd.com
Mon Jan 18 10:33:16 WST 2010

Jason Posavec wrote:
> I recall a thread recently about somebody trying to get drivers to
> work for a particularly proprietary MFP, and was having problems
> getting Linux to recognise all of the various features of it.
>
> Does anybody know, or has anybody tried any of the print server hubs
> that are out there? I'm looking at getting a MFP in the future, and am
> wondering if the print servers look after all the driver-related
> aspects of the setup, or does the computer still need drivers to
> access the printer?
> I'm not talking about a full-on print server that's actually a
> computer, just the $100 ones you can buy.
>
> Jason Posavec

You would still need to have the drivers on you PC(s) using the cheap
print server  If, as you are suggesting, you are "looking at getting a
MFP in the future", I would suggest doing your homework and getting one
that is fully Linux compatible (there are plenty of them out there now).

Even some of the 'cheaper' MFPs now come with built in networking
(ethernet and/or wireless) built in, so a print server isn't required
(it's built in).

I use an Epson TX800FW (wireless) with linux and it works well.  I
haven't bothered getting the scanning function to work wirelessly.  The
printer has a built in card reader (and USB port for memory sticks) so I
just scan to one of those and then plug that into my pc.

I do use Windows XP (in a virtualbox) for functions like CD printing as
I haven't found a suitable Linux based solution for that yet.

Cheers,
Peter