[plug] Help with grub please

Kev kdownes at oceanbroadband.net
Mon Jan 18 15:27:08 WST 2010

G'day all,

I'm in urgent need of some help with grub 1.97 (Ubuntu Karmic Netbook
Remix).  I've just finished resizing my Remix partition using GParted
and the PartedMagic CD.  My only way in at the mo is using a separate
boot disk - in this case Super Grub Disk 2.

On a root console if I type grub I'm told that grub isn't installed.
So, as per the onscreen instruction I type apt-get install grub and it
does this without hesitation or error.  Still grub fails at boot time
with this error message

    GRUB loading.

    error: file not found

    grub rescue>_

The last line is a prompt.  At this stage I'm at a complete loss, not
being a command line jockey in any way at all.  I had it in mind that
grub 2 looked at the partitions at boot time and dynamically created its
boot menu on the fly.  I did had EasyPeasy in sda6 and remix in sda7,
with a windows partition in sda1.  I removed EasyPeasy and stretched
Remix to fill the void, and I see that remix is now in sda6.  I figure
that's the problem but with grub2 I'm at a loss to fix it.

All help gratefully accepted,

Tia,

Kev

Kev Downes
The Other Other Operation
kdownes at oceanbroadband.net  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We currently use Xandros 4.1
There are 10 types of people ...
   ... those who understand binary, and those who don't!
Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous
mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that
it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.