[plug] Help with grub please

Gavin Chester gavin.chester at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 23:46:01 WST 2010

On Mon, 2010-01-18 at 15:27 +0800, Kev wrote:
> G'day all,
>

> I'm in urgent need of some help with grub 1.97 (Ubuntu Karmic Netbook
> Remix).  I've just finished resizing my Remix partition using GParted
> and the PartedMagic CD.  My only way in at the mo is using a separate
> boot disk - in this case Super Grub Disk 2.
>

> On a root console if I type grub I'm told that grub isn't installed.
> So, as per the onscreen instruction I type apt-get install grub and it
> does this without hesitation or error.  Still grub fails at boot time
> with this error message
>
>     GRUB loading.
>
>     error: file not found
>

>     grub rescue>_

I haven't researched my answer, but hope to be more help than
hindrance ;-)

Last time I had grub troubles was years ago, but recall the error you're
seeing means that grub can't find the kernel at the location specified
in the boot menu. That can be solved by finding where your kernel
resides and then editing the menu.lst file of grub to reflect the true
location. It may be that the name of the partition has changed by
resizing, or some such. To find that out in your case will mean a rescue
disc or some live distro to boot up and get to the troublesome
partitions. You could rtfm the grub manual and learn how to use that
"grub rescue" prompt, but I feel your pain at not wanting to go that
path just yet ;-) HTH.

Gavin