[plug] trying to buy a linux netbook

Kev kdownes at oceanbroadband.net
Fri Jan 29 21:14:28 WST 2010

David Buddrige wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am currently in the market for a linux based netbook.  I've found a
> few models on the internet that seem to fit my needs perfectly (eg
> http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=YxnYGjoMzEzmz0Hn)  - but then  I
> can't find a retailer who will actually sell them to me.
>
> They umm and ahh about solid state drives, but as soon as you mention
> linux it seems the shutters go up and you're sool.
>
> For example, although [for example] asus offer an eepc with linux
> pre-installed, no retailer offers them - I've tried Dick Smiths, Good
> guys, JB Hifi, and even PLE but they all say that the only netbooks
> they offer run windows.
>
> Does anyone know a retailer that offers netbooks running linux
> preinstalled in Perth?
>
> The main spec's that interest me in a netbook are:
>
> Lightweight - <= 1kg
> Battery life [as long as possible - 5+ hours]
> Solid State Hard Drive [>=16GB would be adequate to my needs but would
> consider 8GB depending on price]
> absolutely no bigger than 10" - I  want something that is tiny
> Linux pre-installed
>
> I like the eepc line, but would consider other machines.
>
> thanks heaps guys,
>
> David.

I've found, through experience, that you're better off buying a windows
one and then installing Linux into it.  The Linux versions invariably
lack the hardware resources that most of us want.  I currently use an
Asus Eee 1000HA, which came with Windoze, buts which now runs Linux
(Ubuntu Remix) very happily.  I had a Linux based Aspire 1 prior which
was seriously lacking hardware, simply because it was the Linux
version.  I have 2gig of RAM and a 500gig HDD now, all in a netbook
sized object.

Cheers
Kev

Kev Downes
The Other Other Operation
kdownes at oceanbroadband.net  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We currently use Xandros 4.1
There are 10 types of people ...
   ... those who understand binary, and those who don't!
Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous
mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that
it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.