[plug] trying to buy a linux netbook

Gregory Orange gregory.orange at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 08:21:47 WST 2010

2010/1/29 Kev <kdownes at oceanbroadband.net>:
> David Buddrige wrote:
> I am currently in the market for a linux based netbook.  I've found a few
>
> Does anyone know a retailer that offers netbooks running linux preinstalled
> in Perth?
>
> The main spec's that interest me in a netbook are:
> Lightweight - <= 1kg
> Battery life [as long as possible - 5+ hours]
> Solid State Hard Drive [>=16GB would be adequate to my needs but would
> consider 8GB depending on price]
> absolutely no bigger than 10" - I  want something that is tiny
> Linux pre-installed
>
> I like the eepc line, but would consider other machines.
> David.
>
> I've found, through experience, that you're better off buying a windows one
> and then installing Linux into it.  The Linux versions invariably lack the
> Kev

I haven't seen any lack in the Linux versions, apart from a decided
lack of supply. I gave up on finding one in the end, and have been
extremely happy with my eee 1000H with eeebuntu installed (8.10 based
I think, maybe even 8.04). Everything just works[1], battery life is
good, and 10" and ~1.4kg is about perfect for me. I chuck it around so
I guess the spinning disk is sturdy enough.

For your requirements, I don't know what your chances are. Good luck
finding one! Maybe staticice or one of the other shop aggregation
sites? When I was buying, the main ones I considered were Austin, PLE
and Officeworks, although even behind-the-times Dick Smith has them
these days.

Cheers,
Greg.

--
Gregory Orange

[1] there was one fstab glitch such that it was trying to mount USB
drives as CDs but once fixed that works fine.