[plug] trying to buy a linux netbook

Scott Middleton scott at assuretek.com.au
Sat Jan 30 08:23:23 WST 2010

> I've found, through experience, that you're better off buying a windows one and then installing Linux into it.  The Linux versions invariably lack the hardware resources that most of us want.  I currently use an Asus Eee 1000HA, which came with Windoze, buts which now runs Linux (Ubuntu Remix) very happily.  I had a Linux based Aspire 1 prior which was seriously lacking hardware, simply because it was the Linux version.  I have 2gig of RAM and a 500gig HDD now, all in a netbook sized object.
>
> Cheers
> Kev

Yeah I found the same thing. I bought a Toshiba NB200. Rated very
highly in  APC (Feb 2010) - first time I bought something that rated
highly after I bought  it. Damn long battery life. I can go nearly two
to three days of my normal usage without needing to plug it in. I plan
on putting a SSD in it soon as well. I know it works with 9.10 with
some effort but I found a good guide on the 'net. The only problem I
had with Linux was a 9.10 problem with the USB being detected as a
CDROM but their are workarounds for that.

Only cost just over $600 with cash back, which I got in 5 weeks.

--
Scott Middleton
Managing Director
Email - Scott at assuretek.com.au