[plug] trying to buy a linux netbook

Steve Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Sat Jan 30 09:46:18 WST 2010

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 07:24:44 pm David Buddrige wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am currently in the market for a linux based netbook.  I've found a
> few models on the internet that seem to fit my needs perfectly (eg
> http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=YxnYGjoMzEzmz0Hn)  - but then  I
> can't find a retailer who will actually sell them to me.
[..]

I have an eee PC 900A with 8GB SSD, came with XP, but it has an SD slot in the
side. As I needed to keep XP for other reasons, I plugged in an SD card,
installed a minimal Debian system on it, and it works beautifully.

I know this model isn't available any more, but just wanted to note that if
your unit has an external card slot it can be used to hold whatever OS you
like. It's also great if you want to experiment with different OS's, just plug
in a new flash card and and install something else.

I punished my eee over 12,000Km of desert tracks and corrugations last year,
and it never missed a beat. Bits fell off my 4WD, but the eee was fine :-)

Another advantage of the eee PC (at least my model anyway) is that it runs on
12v. So it was a trivial matter to make up a cigarette lighter adapter cable
and run it directly from the vehicle battery. No inverter or charger required.

Steve

--
Steve Boak, (08) 9756 0662, P.O. Box 240, Nannup, WA 6275
Nannup Telecentre IT Support, Phone (08) 9756 3022