[plug] Webmail

Adrian Woodley Adrian at Diskworld.com.au
Wed Jul 21 10:06:31 WST 2010

I run Roundcube on my two servers (personal one and a web service for
volunteer fire brigades - bfb.asn.au).

As everyone has said, its very pretty and easy to setup. It even allows
multiple address books. I run three; personal, group and global. Anyone
in the same domain can view/edit the group address book and the global
address book is pulled from the accounts in LDAP. This isn't the
standard setup, but it does show how flexible the system is.

Another nice feature is per-domain configuration. The one Roundcube
install can have different settings depending on which domain you use to
access it. This allows features like local-part only usernames (rather
than using the full email address to log in) and auto-completing domain
names for new email addresses.

A feature which I would like to develop/hack is the ability to select
the login domain/realm based on a redirected page. In this way, users
accessing mail.foo.com, would be redirected to https://mail.secure.com/
but have the domain name foo.com preselected. This side-steps the
restriction of a single SSL Cert per IP on the web server[1].

I have been very happy with roundcube, as have my users. If you're
interested in having a look at a live setup, drop me an email and I'll
organise a temporary account.

Cheers,

Adrian

[1] If more ppl used IPv6 and/or browsers which support TLS, this could
be solved.