[plug] Webmail

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Wed Jul 21 11:22:05 WST 2010

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010, Brad Campbell wrote:

> G'day all.
>
> I don't want to start a religious war here, but I'd like some advice.
>
> I've never set up or run a webmail system before, but I kinda need to now.
>
> I have a co-located server. It runs Debian stable. It runs mail for about 6
> domains and it really only serves about 4 users. (Exim4 virtual hosting). I
> run qpopper for pop3 access, and all clients access the mail over an openvpn
> tunnel. The only ports open to the world are 22, 53 & 80. It's firewalled
> very tightly.
>
> I've had some issues of late that have made me wish I had the ability to
> access the mail using a web client. I guess I have to transition to imap to
> make this work, and I'm not adverse to doing that.
>
> I don't want standard web access, it must be https only.
>
> SquirrelMail is the first one that comes to mind, but I really have _no_
> idea. I'm open to any suggestions.
>
> All suggestions will be thoroughly beaten in a VM prior to a decision being
> made.
>
> I thought about just having the mail server copy all E-mails to a GMail
> account, but there are privacy issues associated with that I can't
> compromise.
>
> Ta :)
> Brad

What about horde (see http://packages.debian.org/lenny/horde3 and
http://www.horde.org/ )?

I have used it (as a webmail user, not as a systems admninistrator
administering it), and it seems okay to use.

I had previously used SQWebmail, but that does not have the https that
you want, although, that could be dependent on settings and
configuration).

If you do a search on horde with the accompanying string webmail, you
will find that the results include horde webmail login web sites, which
show the interface (for the login), and the https URL involved.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

  you'll know what the answer means."