[plug] Linux Friendly Broadband ISP's

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Mon Nov 22 15:45:35 WST 2010

William Kenworthy <billk at iinet.net.au> writes:

> I did the same, I bought it (outright) thinking ADSL2 sounds great - but
> despite seemingly great numbers in the GUI for connection speed, I find my
> old ADSL1 netgear DSL-300 faster and more reliable for actual throughput so
> thats what I am using.

You might find configuring the ADSL2 modem to use ADSL1 only improves
reliability and/or performance to the same degree: sometimes the ADSL2 signal
negotiates faster, but has more errors, so a slower connection is, well,
faster in practice.

> Add to that the fact that when someone rings into the PSTN, it disconnects
> and doesnt resync fast enough to keep the PPP session up - not so good if
> you use VoIP as well (and try redirecting a PSTN call over VoIP !!!)

.....and that probably points to the source of your problems: something is
really messed up in your cabling.  Check your line filters and, failing that,
start to prod your ISP to get the line checked.

You should have no (zero, nil, nada) interference between the voice and data
parts of the ADSL service.  If you do there is something terribly wrong.

(Also, it is not even remotely technically possible to "resync fast enough to
 keep the PPP session up", since the PPP session runs over the emulated
 Ethernet over the ATM connection - and when the ATM connection goes down so do
 all those higher layers.)

> In bridged mode the software wont let you at the GUI, so you have to reset
> it to be able to access the config.  On the plus side it works with Linux,
> but then I think most of the mainline items do these days as they are web
> setup and ethernet connected - no OS specific software needed.

*nod*
     Daniel