[plug] Linux Friendly Broadband ISP's

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Mon Nov 22 15:55:13 WST 2010

I doubt anything is messed up internally - Ive use a few ADSL modems
here - and the speedstream is the standout failure

and Yes, Ive forced the connection to ADSL1 and slower connections when
testing - its still a poor performer at ADSL1 rates.

Maybe its a dud unit, but I dont think I am alone in my assessment that
its not a top performer.
BillK

On Mon, 2010-11-22 at 18:45 +1100, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> William Kenworthy <billk at iinet.net.au> writes:
>
> > I did the same, I bought it (outright) thinking ADSL2 sounds great - but
> > despite seemingly great numbers in the GUI for connection speed, I find my
> > old ADSL1 netgear DSL-300 faster and more reliable for actual throughput so
> > thats what I am using.
>
> You might find configuring the ADSL2 modem to use ADSL1 only improves
> reliability and/or performance to the same degree: sometimes the ADSL2 signal
> negotiates faster, but has more errors, so a slower connection is, well,
> faster in practice.
>
> > Add to that the fact that when someone rings into the PSTN, it disconnects
> > and doesnt resync fast enough to keep the PPP session up - not so good if
> > you use VoIP as well (and try redirecting a PSTN call over VoIP !!!)
>
> .....and that probably points to the source of your problems: something is
> really messed up in your cabling.  Check your line filters and, failing that,
> start to prod your ISP to get the line checked.
>
> You should have no (zero, nil, nada) interference between the voice and data
> parts of the ADSL service.  If you do there is something terribly wrong.
>
> (Also, it is not even remotely technically possible to "resync fast enough to
>  keep the PPP session up", since the PPP session runs over the emulated
>  Ethernet over the ATM connection - and when the ATM connection goes down so do
>  all those higher layers.)
>

> > In bridged mode the software wont let you at the GUI, so you have to reset
> > it to be able to access the config.  On the plus side it works with Linux,
> > but then I think most of the mainline items do these days as they are web
> > setup and ethernet connected - no OS specific software needed.
>
> *nod*
>      Daniel

Home in Perth!