[plug] [OT] Purchasing "Nettops" in Australia

Michael Holland michael.holland at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 10:24:22 WST 2010

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 10:05 AM, Tim <weirdit at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to locate places in Australia that sell Nettops for turning
> into a media centre at a decent price.
> In particular, nettops like the Acer Revo. I plan on setting up a
> small computer for my inlaws to use as a media centre, running XBMC.
> Ideally, it would have traditional TV out (Analog) as well as
> HDMI(DVI) out. And of course, it'll need a decent GPU and CPU for
> running a media centre.
> I've found lots of different things people are using by reading
> through XBMC forums and the likes, but can't seem to locate the said
> computers in australia. So ether an australia website that sells them,
> or a Perth/Brisbane shop that people know sell them.

Tim,
Staticice show no local ones, but a few in NSW.  With the A$ high, I'd be
tempted to use Amazon.

Have you considered using a netbook hidden behind the TV?
I thought you only need a fancy GPU if you want blu-ray or other high-def
h264.
Do the forums say otherwise?
VGA is often as good as HDMI for video, depending on your TV.
Do you want surround-sound?

 http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=acer+revo&spos=3